Friday, April 17, 2009

bus drivers?

I got an email earlier this semester from INTEC's English coordinator stating that the bus drivers of UiTM, Section 17 Campus were asking for an English course. At first I laughed real hard but then it come to my thinking, it is actually a good thing to do. Despite the fact that INTEC or UiTM lecturers do not really have all the time in the world for such course, it is for the betterment of UiTM as well. Why not have bus drivers who can speak English fluently? and of course, INTEC students comprise of non Malays and those who are not very fluent in Bahasa Malaysia. There might be cases where the bus drivers cannot communicate with them. Or else, not just the bus drivers, the drivers as a whole, might need to communicate not just with the lecturers, staffs but also the visitors who are coming to UiTM.

Just last week, I bumped into a few Japanese people here in INTEC/ UiTM Section 17 Campus. They were smiling and they greeted me, so I replied with a smile as well. I wonder where they are from, but lets say the UiTM drivers fetch them from KLIA, or their hotel where they are staying, they must be something to talk about right? With the drivers of UiTM being fluent in English, the international or we can say the highest level of foreign or second language, it is something significantly beautiful to have. While driving, they can promote UiTM and share information with the visitors and this will leave impact to the visitors as UiTM drivers are able to entertain them.

I am actually excited over the establishment of this course. I actually offered to take part either in teaching or designing the course. From what I have learned from our ESP class, I know exactly what we need to do in designing a course such as this. The needs of the learners! We need to do a need analysis to locate and identify what are the needs of this drivers. I think I am going to contribute my thoughts to the Coordinator. Via email. Now. =)

~Irda Haryani Tahir~

1 comment:

Ms Mia said...

it's a very interestinng course indeed irda. I think they should introduce similar course not only to bus drivers, but also to the guards, and cafe workers as well. Especially the guards. Haha.

Guards are the first person that students/visitors will greet, so similar to the needs of the bus drivers, the guards would at least need basic English to communicate.