Sunday, February 8, 2009

I have to agree with both Sara and Kak Fauziah. (Perhaps you could post your future thoughts in new entries so this blog would look livelier. :P)

Yes, Practice makes perfect. I believe so as well. As any great leaders of the world, they would still admit that the butterflies will still be theire, in their stomach, whether it's their 1st or 100oth delivery of speech. Even us teachers still have the nervousness in us before entering the class (especially when we're not so well prepared for the class haha.)

I remember during my short stint of teaching Diploma students in a rural college in Terengganu, I once decided to do the class presentations in the main hall, so the students would have the opportunity to use the microphone hehe. Frankly, I was experimenting on students' responses - whether they'd do better than they used to in the classroom.

The result?

They're either:

a) Sweating throughout the process
b) Getitng paler by minutes
c) Memorising their texts (it's not spontaneous public speaking)
d) Code-switched with BM
e) Lost of words the moment they heard their own voices from the speakers

Some were terrified to the fact that they had to stand in front of everyone (even though it's the same classmates) and delivered their speech. But some did quite well.

Why? Because they practiced.

My 2 cents. :)

4 comments:

iamirda said...

I myself is still having that problem once in a while. Especially during the time that I was a little unprepared of something. I am still learning. At least, I still look at myself as a student. Well, learning is a never ending process. Am I right?
Another crucial thing to hold on to is the confidence. If we are knowledgeable enough sometimes we can do quite well in something impromptu. Again, the answer is confidence. And yes, confidence always mean = well prepared.

If we want to relate this to Math and Science in English, I wonder if the teachers are prepared to teach those subjects in English? yes, because they learn all those things in Malay back then.

danadanish said...

Dear all,
I do also notice this when I were in school...most of the students were terrified at the idea of delivering their speech..I discussed with my students and decided to have two sessions of public speaking,the rest of the class will be the judge...friends will be commenting on style,voice projection,content,the strenghth and weakness of the speaker....THEY LOVE THIS IDEA..and when we had the 2nd session, they really improved...at least on certain area...
I guess, this is one of many other ways to make the students practise the language ....

NIDANA

Maizatul Akmal said...

Hi friends

This is actually my first time posting a comment in a blog.I'm not that techology savvy in that sense. Ok. Commenting about feeling nervous to present something. I can really relate to that. I have butterflies the size of a dinasaur everytime i need to deliver a presentation. Not good. But i think if we really know the content of what are presenting, we can have some confidence. So in a way, i agree with irda. confidence really equals thorough preparation :) Allrity. still getting used to blogging. I'm so left behind.daaaaa

Ms Mia said...

I agree too! To be able to stand in front of everyone and deliver a speech will always give goosebumps to everyone, and even more to the students. So I do agree that they really need to prepare, and practice to get the enough confidence to be on that stage.

But I guess it's not a day's job. Thus that is why I also love Dana's idea on how to get students into public speaking! Really love the idea dana, and will definitely try that one in my next class!