Friday, February 13, 2009

Love Letters and Needs Analysis

So I decided to ask my students who are the new batch - foundation - 1st sem - to write me a love letter. Well, I did the same thing before - when I was teaching in INTEC. And my concern was to get to know what do the students need, what do they expect to get from me and what are they lack of so that I can help them and at the same time making the class more lively - more effective and of course - so that they like me! :)
I didn't do it since.. Until the previous ESP class when Dr.Normah assign us to do a need analysis for our proposed course, it came to my conscience that it actually helped - much! So why did I stop doing the good thing? oh yes, I am still adjusting.

As expected, the students gave positive response towards the idea of me-trying-to-give-them what they need and ask for. They were excited when I told them to write me a love letter - without mentioning their name - and that they can write their expectations towards the class, the lesson and me generally! Some of them, of course would try to kiss-my-arse but as a whole, they know what they want. Basically, they expect:

1. to improve their communication skill (though I suppose their 1st language is English)
2. to expand their vocab and use correct grammar in speaking and writing
3. to have a fun and excited language games in class (students just want to have fun...)
4. not to be scolded if they are late (I have to rethink about this - like...more than twice!)

And to think about it again, I must say it is a good idea though. Besides of getting to know your bunch of new students, you are to get love letters! heeeeeeee... rite?

Ms.Azyyati

No comments: