Saturday, March 7, 2009

Beyond Average

To relate to Idot's situation in dealing her mature student, I must agree that we teachers have to kinda find a way or best, a solution to engage with this considered "special" student. In teaching those beyond average age students sometimes cause a hay wire. I do have studentS - mostly African - who are 30+ and yet they have to take the foundation English! Just imagine,they have to learn those basic grammar and sit in the class full of "kids". I do pity them and I dont even want to tell them that I am younger. Most of them were either English teachers in primary school or diploma holders back then in their country. Each and everytime they would be the one who ALWAYS know the answer and would finish the exercises given. Sometimes, they even argue with me of certain grammar rules and way of pronunciation and all.. Fuuh... But knowing the fact how English was brought into their education system (which I just discovered when doing Dr.Richard's class presentation), I didn't simply said they were wrong. Instead, I explain the "genuine" one and told them why they view it as different from what they supposed to. Indeed, I must say it a frustrated - for them to know the reality. But to think about my professionalim, I cant let these "beyond average" age students to think or to tell the young students that 'teacher is wrong' or worse, 'teacher is stupid'.

I dont see much positive outcome when the 30-ish students have to sit in class with the 18,19 and 20-ish students. In my case, these mature students were those who would always give "the look" and have an attitude in class. Thus, in a way they disrupt the class and make me feel uncomfortable. Though not all of them caused problems, majority did. In one of my colleagues' class for example, there was this one mature student who were a teacher and after dealt with few arguments with her - about English - the only solution was to exempted her from the course.
So, a question to ponder here... is it suitable to place more mature or "beyond average" age student(s) together with young, energetic, want to know all and a lil bit slower in one class
and why there's STILL an unwanted or less desired course designed for the students???

No comments: