Thursday, March 26, 2009

Remember when I presented my needs analysis in class, I’d mentioned about the reason for designing the ESP course for the class was because I intended to propose the same ESP course for Foundation of Engineering Program at TATiUC. Guess what? Someone had revised it! Which is good… if only this person had created an ESP course for the engineering students that is. Last week when I went to visit TATiUC, a colleague of mine, Ms. Bee informed me that Mr. Zoom, English lecturer cum General Subjects Co-ordinator had revised the syllabus and included Mass Communication theories (in public speaking topic) and speech writing in the content. What would engineering students who work as technicians, assistant engineers etc. do with Mass Communication theories and writing speeches? Personally, I think the students would be better off with the knowledge and skills on how to deliver good presentations at the workplace and how to use English effectively in performing their job functions at work. But hey…that’s just me, a Master’s student who is still struggling with assignments, tests, projects, research papers and thesis her own. Who am I to argue with Mr. Zoom the General Subjects Coordinator who possessed Master of Education in TESL from UPSI. And you wanna know what’s the best part of it all? Mr. Zoom urged the other three English lecturers to propose the syllabus to MQA as soon as possible before I return to work and do some damages. Ms. Bee and the other English lecturers disagreed with the content of the new syllabus but followed along. “He’s the boss. Sapa berani?” (Ms. Bee’s own words). I guess he knew I would enroll in this course and learned how to analyze students’ needs in learning English language heheh.. That’s why he said that.

Anyhow, clearly Mr. Zoom has not analyzed the needs of these engineering students for learning English. In fact, I think he created the syllabus based on what he thought the students may need. Hence, I intend to show him the questionnaires that I forced my fiancé and his colleagues (some are TATiUC former students) at AE Technologies Sdn. Bhd. (Balakong, Selangor) to fill up and a copy of the needs analysis I’d written for Theories and Practices in ESP course in the attempt to revise the syllabus again! Because of this class, I am now prepared going to a battle with Mr. Zoom - fighting for an ESP course that meet the needs of engineering students when they take up employment in the near future.

p/s: Mr. Zoom has a Degree in Mass Communication. ;=)

1 comment:

Ms Mia said...

You go girl!

My pov is, it's not going to be an easy battle to face, but it's not impossible to win either. I guess you better be prepared for such battle, because one thing i noticed is that it's not an easy task to change people's mentality.

In the case of your Mr Zoom, I think you should prepare yourself before going on war with him. Not only the needs analysis, but i think you should also do a wee bit of research in terms of similar courses offered at other institutions, so that you could prove that you have stronger case than his.

I remember having to create a new course from zero, and found it really hard, as I don't have the course design skills back then. And now when I looked back at the module that I'd made, I felt even worse. I should've done more research on the students' needs, and the employers' needs as well, before jumping into the course design bandwagon.

So Sara, good luck with your upcoming battle ya! :)