Saturday, March 7, 2009

unique = ESP

It caught my brain to think more profoundly about ESP when Kak Annie told the class that she didn't follow the syllabus when she was teaching in Akademi Laut Malaysia (if I'm not mistaken this is the correct place). She needs to teach all the Captains and the content of the syllabus are basically focusing on grammar, while the learners are not really needing this. Thus, she located the needs of learners precisely and cone out with her course design. The result? The Captains asked her where she did her Masters. One brilliant idea I got from her experience. The moral of the story here is that the original inventor of the course did not do the homework. How can you teach someone who is already well verse of content, the same content over and over again, wthout making them feel annoyingly bored?

This reminds me of a student that I am currently teaching. As you know, I am teaching in INTEC, which means that I am teaching those brilliant, young, excitedly wanting to go abroad students. Most of them are 17, 18 and 19 years old. however, in one of my classes, among all the 17s, 18s and 19s years old students, there is one private student (while the rest are sponsored), 23 years old boy and he is like only 2 years younger than me. From the very beginning of the class, I somehow can sense from his attitudes and physical that he doesn't want to be there. simply because he is sorrounded by students acting more like children to them. He constantly will have this look on his face showing that he is just simply bored. I noticed this from the very first time I went to the class. There and then I know, I have to do something about this. After a while, he is absence from classes and this has ben going on for a while. I don't know about other lecturers, I am sure they are very good at this, but I can see that that boy, likes to study on his own. He is a brilliant student and what I do is i text and call him for everything. Assignments, due of assignments and even when I need to see him for consultations. He will not make it for class, but he will come to me for consultatons.

Basically, what I did here, is to design a course specifically and especially for this special student. He used to be top students in MRSM and MMU. When asked to do a small investigation (matriculations level), he came out with a Masters' level research. Yet, he is a student of mine, located in a class full of students who are still naive and asking for everything.

~Irda Haryani Tahir~


No comments: